Friday, May 6, 2011

We're here!

We've only been in Rwanda for a couple of days, and I am already learning and experiencing so much. For starters, I have learned to make many adjustments in Africa. Some for example, include getting used to the the lack of plumbing. technology, food choices, and personal space. Although that probably seems like a huge downside, it's actually been wonderful experiencing something so different than what I'm used to in the States. It really makes me grateful for all that I have, especially when I see how happy these Rwandans are without all of the material items. I love seeing their smiles and warm welcomes.

Yesterday we went on a four hour hike in Gishwati forest. It was cold and wet and tiring, but definitely fantastic. It was neat to see the forest close-up and bond with my group more. Speaking of my group....we rock. We've been having a great time thus far, from playing American games with Rwandan kids, to sleeping in wet tents, to cracking jokes about each other's memorable quotes. I can't wait for all of the new experiences we will continue to have over the course of the next two weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment