Friday, May 6, 2011

Internet Cafe in Gisenyi

Currently we are sitting in an Internet cafe in Gisenyi. We have all been having a wonderful time I believe even though a few of us, myself included, have gotten sick.

We are all much better now, though, and that's all that matters.

Today we met with the Batwa tribe, and they sang and danced for us. It was amazing. They are extremely musically inclined.

Before that we went to the local health clinic in the village we were staying in. We gave them the donations we had brought for them, and I know they are grateful. This moment personally touched me since I handed two pairs of glasses to the lady that were my grandfather's.

My grandfather passed away last September, and it was rough on my mother as it was her last remaining parent. It was really touching to see that they would go to good use, but at the same time it was the last part of letting him go. 

Yesterday we hiked through the Gishwati Forest and met with the Women's Cooperative and some traditional healers.

We also sang and danced with the village children in the street. They sang some Rwandan songs to us, and we taught them the Hokey Pokey, The Itsy Bitsy Spider, and Twinkle Twinkle Little Star.

This has been quite a journey so far, and it isn't over yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment