Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Well-Behaved Children & Being Grateful

The past three days I have gone to a couple of schools with the Art of Conservation.

The children are so well-behaved here, especially compared to American children. They can sit and focus on one song for hours at a time even when it may be quite frustrating for them to understand it.

We have taught three different sections of kids so far. I don't know how they can focus for so long on a languange not native to them, English. They never complain, and they always do what they are told.

I've seldom even heard children crying or whining. They are some of the happiest kids I have ever seen. Yet, they have so little.

This has really opened my eyes as, in America, we have everything we could ever possibly need. However, we are truly not that happy. People are always focused on tomorrow or that next step.

Not many Americans take a step back to just enjoy the moment and take one step at a time. Things are slower paced here, and I think that's why people seem to be more relaxed and well-behaved.

I am definitely going to take this state of mind home with me because I could have used this knowledge a long time ago. I think it would have prevented a lot of bad things from happening.

Back to the kids, though. They don't have fancy toys to play with, cool clothes, or video games to play. They really enjoy singing and dancing as a form of entertainment. Many use a bamboo shoot to sort of roll a bike wheel around as a game too.

They are more than happy wearing what would be considered, to Americans, rags. Some of them don't have buttons on their shirts, so they have to hold their shirt shut.

Many of their shoes are broken, or they are wearing one rainboot and one sneaker. I am happy that we brought so many bags of shoes with us since they definitely need them.

The lesson here is that you may have everything in the world but be the most unhappy person. On the other hand, you may have the least in the world but be the happiest person.

Just take one day at a time and be grateful for what you have. Here in Rwanda many people have next to nothing but still smile and enjoy each moment.

Here's a kind of funny story that will explain just how little some people have here.

I was in the market on Monday gathering food to cook for supper that night. I had a water bottle in my backpack before I left. After leaving the market I wanted a drink of water.

I reached for my water bottle and nothing was there. I turned and looked at where it should have been, and it was gone.

I never would have thought somebody would take a water bottle, but it happened. It didn't bug me since it was just a water bottle after all, and I'm glad it wasn't anything else.

The scenerio just shocked me that somebody would take such a little thing like that.

So appreciate what you have because there is somebody out there who has way less.

- Umufasha

No comments:

Post a Comment