Friday, May 6, 2011

Muraho from Gisenyi!

I don't even know where to start! I don't want to be too repetitive but I'll do my best to share my experiences. First of all, it is absolutely beautiful here! I absolutely LOVE driving around and seeing all of the scenery. The people are just as beautiful too. They are all so loving and happy; it's just amazing. I've never felt like so much of a celebrity either. When we drive, the kids wave and smile and chase after us. It's adorable! It's really nerve wracking though because they get so close! Some of the kids ran all the way to the health clinic with us this morning.

We went on a 4 hour hike through Gishwati yesterday. It started raining on us after about a half hour and it didn't really let up until the last half hour or so. I was amazed and impressed with all of our attitudes, though. That was what made it so fun. We were all gung-ho on crossing rivers and getting completely soaked. I feel like that wouldn't happen with most groups of teenagers and I think that is something really special about us.

I'm running a little low on time at this internet cafe so I'm going to wrap up on what I thought about today. The thing that stuck out most for me today was smiles. Firstly, the Batwa had gorgeous smiles. I was blown away by them and I couldn't take my eyes off of the. Their dancing and singing was outstanding. The little boy with the cutest smile ever was unforgettable too! Secondly, I couldn't stop smiling all day. I realized my mouth was almost hurting because I had been smiling so long. That feeling you get when you're taking pictures for a big high school dance and you hate it. But in this case, it only made me smile more because I was genuinely smiling and happy. It was such an indescribable feeling.

The trip is going awesome and I can't wait to see what awaits us! We're all excited to sleep in beds and shower tonight. Great thinking on timing Virginia! The hotel is beautiful and right on the beach of Lake Kivu. We're watching some dancing tonight from Innocent's group and then going out to do some dancing ourselves!

No comments:

Post a Comment